Wednesday, October 10, 2007

P-9: Crazy Giant Print

With our newest project, Rodney is admittedly trying to kill us, or break us, or maybe just make us think twice about being at Tamarind. We're upping the ante here.

First of all, this project is big. The paper size is 22"x30". The image size is 20"x28". Which means we only get a one inch paper border around our image. There is no room to punch the paper, so we have to use the T and Bar method of registration.

Not only is this project big in size, but it's also big in scope. We have to have three runs (three separate layers printed on top of each other). One of the layers is a giant blend (also called a rainbow roll), in which we blend multiple colors together on one massive roller.

Here I am struggling to use the roller in our long demo on Friday:



And here I am smiling only because Yuli forced me to:



The hardest part about the blend is keeping the colors consistent. If you don't place your roller down in the exact same spot every time, the colors will start to migrate and the blend will transform into something completely different.

Patrick proofed his blend onto several different papers. So pretty, yet so evil:



Besides the blend, the other layers have to be a texture layer, and a key image.

Rodney has been daring us to draw Unicorns, so I decided that I would draw Rodney riding a Unicorn for this project.

Here is my drawing. I was never really that good at drawing horses:



For my blend, I'm going to use a light pink, a hot pink, and a lavender in the background. These are the colors I'm using, but I think the blend will be primarily the lighter pink with the other colors pushed more towards the top of the image:



I'm not quite sure what I'm doing for my texture yet. I'm thinking some sort of airbrush highlights in a white or peach that goes over the unicorn and in the clouds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now that I've met Rodney, I can enjoy this picture more.

Rodney is like a unicorn...soft yet strong.

-CF