Friday, September 14, 2007

SNAP!!!

Several months ago I was invited to participate in a print portfolio for the IMPACT 5 international printmaking conference in Tallinn, Estonia. The print is due at the end of the month and I'm finally making some headway. I had a bit of a creative block. Too much printing and not enough printmaking, I guess. The best I could come up with is a print about printing. It's gonna be titled, "Snap!!!" You Tamarind kids out there know what I'm talking about.



Anyway... this is going to be a Lithograph and Digital on some sorta Japanese paper chine colle'd onto somerset satin or something similar. The plate is ready and proofed, I just have to print out the digital parts onto the thin Japanese paper and we'll be ready to roll. The image area is around 8"x8" and the paper size is 12"x12".

[For those of you unfamiliar: Printmaking Portfolios are organized exchanges of prints between artists. An organizer will generally select a number of participants, a theme, a paper size and an edition size. Some themes are more open than others. In the case of my current project, we were simply given a folio title, "Analog Digital Disorder", to work from and told that the prints must be 12"x12", no thicker than 1/4", and in an edition of 27. So I will make 27 identical prints and send them to Dusty. The other 20+ participants will also send 27 prints to Dusty and he will organize them into boxes containing a copy of every print submitted. Dusty will take the portfolio with him to the conference in Estonia. He will also eventually send each participant a complete set of all the prints in the portfolio to keep.]

Since I last wrote, I finished up my solvent wash projects. Alex helped me print my stone on Thursday afternoon and Celina sponged for me this afternoon so that I could print my plate. Both of them turned out relatively well, although I was having trouble getting the black flats to print solid. Rodney said I was rolling too fast and of course he was right. I'm always in super-fast mode when I'm printing. Sometimes it's hard to slow down. I joked that I was paying for Celina's help by the hour which was why I was in such a hurry.

Thursday night I went to the mall with Alex, Celina and Valpuri. Alex left for Saint Louis this morning. We'll probably meet up there on Sunday for Ted Drewe's Frozen Custard and/or drinky drinks.

Tonight I watched the Cardinals lose (again) to the Cubs. I also worked on "Snap!!!". Patrick's Baby-Momma is in town for the weekend and they stopped by after the game. We hit the Frontier for a late snack and then took Chelsey on a tour of Tamarind. Good times.

Tomorrow morning I get picked up at 7:30am for the airport. My flight is at 9:25am. I switch planes in KC and arrive in STL around 2pm.

1 comment:

ainesse said...

oh heck ~i have just found you but now you are flying off to Saint Louis !!!

I have previously participated in Impact printmaking portfolio exchanges. The last one being in Berlin. I might have done this one in Tallin, except I didn't get to find out about the deadlines until really it was too late.
Having said that - I was working on a printmaking base installation for an exhibition in Sweden, anyway but I always tend to want to do more than I actually can!!
So please DO check me out when you get back from St Louis and leave me a comment.
I will be interested to see how that print you are making for Tallin, turns out. Also I am particulalrly interested in this approach of combining traditional and digital techniques, its something that for a while I have been considering starting ablog about in an effort to share techniques and to collate all of the great work that is going on 'out there'.

bye for now

Aine