Monday, August 13, 2007

Out for Delivery

Yesterday



We stayed at the hotel as long as possible, enjoying the comfy beds and watching HGTV. At check-out time, we reluctantly gathered up our things and headed back to my new apartment to drop off our belongings. Then it was off the the Flying Star cafe for lunch and back out to the NE side for a second trip to Target and Wal-Mart and an inaugural visit to the Albuquerque Trader Joes.



I am now stocked up on groceries... for a week or so at least. Perhaps Carrie and I will make one more grocery trip with the rental car before she goes back to Saint Louis.

Last night we had Thai leftovers for dinner, rented some movies, bought some local beer, and played Gin Rummy out on my patio table. The sleeping situation here isn't quite as inviting as the pillowtop bed at the hotel. Carrie crashed on the twin bed (with nice new sheets), and I curled up on the ratty little futon... later ending up with the futon pad on the floor.

Today
When I worked at the UPS Store, one of the most commonly asked questions was, "When will my packages get there/here?"

If they had been shipped by a Next Day or early 2nd Day service, I could give them a time. But with ground service you just never really know. Sometimes ground drivers will deliver up until 8 o'clock at night in residential areas! Tracking your packages will give you no more than an "Out for Delivery" notice, and that's if you're lucky. So if you're expecting a package, and you know you have to sign for it, your only option is to free up your schedule, sit with your ears alert and your nose plastered against a window, and keep an eye out for your package.

That's pretty much what I'm doing today. The six packages that I shipped last Wednesday are scheduled to be delivered today. When today? Your guess is as good as mine. I'd be fine camping out and waiting for the truck to arrive, but I'm a little nervous. You see, my guest house is pretty well hidden off the main road. Despite the fact that the boxes are marked "Rear Guest House", I don't really trust the UPS driver to work that hard to find me. Past leaving up signs for the driver, or waiting on the curb for him to arrive, I can't really do much more than cross my fingers and hope that my boxes find their way here.

At some point today, I hope to venture over to the UNM campus (across the street), to pick up my student ID and free bus sticker (a new perk for UNM students). All of our other plans are hinging on whether or not (and what time) my packages arrive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great read, I would love to get there also - the closest I've been was Arizona :)
I heard you like gin rummy, and wanted to suggest you this site: http://www.rummyroyal.com/1-678-223-1-23400

Enjoy!

Danny