Saturday, August 18, 2007

Killing Time and/or Rain Delays

They are rolling out the tarps at the Cardinals-Cubs game in Chicago and I figured I'd take some time during this rain delay to give you an update.

After our adventures in Santa Fe and beyond, we came back to Albuquerque and relaxed on Friday. It had been a few days since my last shopping trip, and I had come up with a list of a few more things for the guest house. The purchase of ice cream necessitated an ice cream scoop. A clog in the bathroom sink required a little Drain-O. And my nasty brown carpet was screaming for a rug to cover it up.



I don't really mind the brown carpet so much. It goes nicely with the new brown and tan comforter and the brown and tan futon that was here when I showed up. It's just the fact that it kind of crunches when you walk on it that I don't like so much.

After our shopping excursion, we stopped and got Carrie a burrito for lunch, then returned home so that I could watch the Cardinals game.

That's right, folks! I said WATCH! Guess who shelled out $15 to sign up for MLB.TV? I don't know why I never thought of this before. Of course, in Saint Louis, most of the games would probably be blacked out. But it is perfect for me here. Look how happy I am! (This picture was taken before Jacque Jones 2-run game winning homer.)



After the game was over, we headed downtown to see a movie, then came back home and I made my first dinner in my new place. We spent the evening playing cards and watching an episode of The Office that I had on my computer.

I planned my day today around watching the second game of the Cards-Cubs series. We got up early and went to one of the ABQ farmer's markets. It was small but we were able to buy a few things including some honey and the biggest bag of plums ever. Here is a picture of Carrie with the plums. In the background you can see the super-cute cowboys that she bought them from.




Since we were nearby, we shot over to the Flea Market and had a look around. I was hoping it would be more like the covered flea markets I used to go to in Florida with my grandparents. Unfortunately, it was more like one of those deals where people just go and dump a truckload of clothes on a blanket and let you dig through them. There were the usual knock-off Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles toys and leather belts and cheap shoes. The only things that piqued my interest were the cowboy hats and lucha libre masks. And I didn't really feel comfortable buying either.

One thing we did empty our pockets for was the Aguas Frescas stand. I had strawberry lemonade and Carrie had cantaloupe. Mmmmmm. So good!



I had also been wanting some plants for my new apartment and found a vendor with a nice variety of little succulent plants. Here's what I ended up with. (The colorful grafted cactus came from Home Depot.)



After the flea market we returned home and I excitedly went to my computer to turn on the Cardinals game, only to discover that there was a national blackout due to the fact that the game was televised on FOX. That would be perfect if I had a TV... but I don't, so I'm enjoying the bantering of John Rooney and Mike Shannon on internet radio instead.

My boy, Anthony Reyes, gave up a grand slam in the third inning and the Cardinals are trying to claw their way back to a win. I don't know if I can handle another Cardinals loss. With Carrie leaving tomorrow, I'm already in a fragile state. Losing to the Cubs may just be the straw that broke the camel's back.

No comments: