Thursday, August 2, 2007

Almost There... and an Explanation

I was originally planning on opening this blog with me, in an airplane, peering out into the morning desert skies, marveling at the Sandia Mountains as we swooped into scenic Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Instead, I am frazzled and sweaty in Saint Louis, running around trying to pack up my life so that I can ship it down to the Duke City.

For those of you just tuning in:

Hey! I'm going to New Mexico!

Lately, I'm commonly asked, "Who lives in New Mexico and why are you going there?"

Well, to answer your first question... I don't really know anyone in New Mexico. I don't even really know anything about New Mexico. You see, I've never been to the place. Carrie has done some research and assures me that they have very good food in New Mexico. I've learned that the altitude is much higher than in Saint Louis and that I may get groggy when I first arrive. I've also been informed that New Mexico contains 20% of all U.S. National Parks.

But believe it or not, it wasn't the food, the altitude or even the National Parks that drew me to New Mexico.

It was the Tamarind Institute.

Super go-go action figure June Wayne founded the Institute back in the 60's when the art of Lithography was all but dead in the United States. Each year, a select (read: incredibly awesome) group of baby-printers are chosen to complete the rigorous Professional Printer Training Program. At the end of the first year, a limited number of these now certified printers are selected to remain at the Institute for another year to train as Tamarind Master Printers.

Long story short... I could be in Albuquerque anywhere from nine months to two years. I don't know anything about the place. I'm going alone. And I'm leaving in about a week.

I know that some of you out there are thinking... "Litho-what?"

And trust me... if you keep reading this blog over the next few months, you'll probably know more about prints than you ever wanted to know.

Others of you may be wondering... "An eighth year of post-secondary education and you're still not a doctor yet?"

I know, I know... but I'm hoping I won't have to work that barely-above-minimum-wage job anymore if I actually see this thing through.

I'm sure there are many other questions that remain unanswered and I'll try to get to them if you gladly post them in the comments section. In the meantime, stay tuned for riveting accounts of my Financial Aid Fiasco (which could really be its own seperate blog), and first impressions of Albuquerque.

P.S. This is how I imagine New Mexico:

3 comments:

ken said...

You imagine New Mexico as a Walt Disney ride?
Wait, do you imagine life as one big Disney ride?

Kathleen O'Connell said...

Thunder Mountain? Hmmm.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'M going to NM for the food and scenery.

And maybe to visit you.

-CF